When the rest of the world thinks wardriving and bluesnarfing are news or that you are making up words, give them this book or directions to the local library where they can check it out in print or eForm.
Authors: Jayson E. Street, Kent Nabors, Brian Baskin, Marcus Carey
I recommend this book to readers interested in the fictional Part 1 as well as those looking for a quick reference and tools using Part 2 STAR
Part 1: FOrb1dd3n
PrO1Ogu3, Chapters ON3, TWO, THR33, FOUR, F1V3, S1X, S3V3N, E1GHT, N1N3, T3N, 3P1LOGU3
Part 2: Security Threats Are Real (STAR) 2.0
Chapters 1 Recon, 2 Scan, 3 Explore, 4 Exploit, 5 Expunge, 6 Hacker Culture, 7 Bit Bucket
This book is a great read for those new to the net, those interested in "Seeking first to understand then be understood (S Covey), people looking to explore other tools, techies who are looking for options when trying to explain security issues to others, and those people looking to diversify their book reading lists.
The short description of the book on whatever site you discover it on states (as quoted from the sites, their words not mine):
- Utilizes actual hacking and security tools in its story-helps to familiarize a newbie with the many devices and their code
- Introduces basic hacking techniques in real life context for ease of learning
- Presented in the words of the hacker/security pro, effortlessly envelops the beginner in the language of the hack
- Check out the companion site at www.dissectingthehack.com complete with an interactive forum!
- Exclusive interviews in this revised edition include thoughtful insights into security issues and hacking culture from industry leaders Dan Kaminsky, Johnny Long, Jeff Moss and Marcus Ranum
One section between the Acknowledgements and About the Authors is How to Read Dissecting the Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network. It closes with this sentence: Dissecting the Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network can happen IRL.
The book is filled with links to sites and while some were verified in 2010 before the revised edition was published, some links are no longer valid, other links provide access to tools that you may have tinkered with as you learned more about your gadgetry, network connections, and situational awareness or lead you into discovering tools you did not know existed.
f0rb1dden for more info about Jayson Street and an audio trailer of the book
Dissecting the Hack : The F0rb1dd3n Network on Google Play
Dissecting the Hack Ning
Syngress book description
Dissecting the Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network on Amazon (purchase or rent)
or check out the book via WorldCat so you can find the book in your local library
Have you read Dissecting the Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network? Did you share your book review? Have you passed this book to others when you didn't feel like explaining any more?