System requirements to participate/complete the course:
- Completion of the Google Maps and Google Earth activities and projects for certificate credit requires an Internet-enabled device.
- For Google Earth, ensure your computer is able to run the current version of Google Earth by reviewing the related system requirements. Download the current version of Google Earth.
- Mapping with Google includes some components, such as video and text lessons, that are accessible from most smartphones and tablets.
- Participation in the optional Google+ hangouts requires a webcam-enabled device.
Some takeaways from the course:
- You could add the city closest to you for a world view of students in the MOOC.
- As part of this course, we had access to a new version of Google Maps not yet available to all users.
- Google invites educators to apply for a free Pro version of Google Earth year round, and would like to extend a discount to Mapping with Google students completing the course. Upon submission of a Google Maps or Google Earth project in advance of the June 24, 2013 deadline, students will receive a coupon code for 50% off a Google Earth Pro license. Coupons will be viewable from the My Profile page once the certificate project has been received. The coupon is valid through June 29, 2013.
- There are some awesome tours available in Google Earth. Visit a place that you want to visit but otherwise not doable. Just tinker...you may even discover an interest that you thought was boring and buried from your school days.
- Visit some place you have been and enable the Historic views.
- Many classroom ideas that can be used as family learning projects.
- Don't forget to check out Sky, Moon, and Mars - Too cool and much improved since I did a blog post about Google Moon and Sky in 2008.
There are many things about this experience that I could write about, but the 3 year old Gbaby takes priority.
Thanks Google for the MOOC.